Saturday, May 1, 2010

Life in the City

Everyone who knows me knows that I LOVE living in the city and come-on, admit it, is there anything better than waking up on a Saturday morning, walking 2 blocks to La Colombe for the best coffee in the world, 2 blocks to Martial Posture for a karate session, 1 block back home and up 3 floors to the gym, 2 blocks to the nail salon and then 2 blocks to begin the walk up Walnut Street for the Rittenhouse Row Spring festival? I get the lure of the Burbs, not for me but I get it. I also can spot the Suburbanites amidst the City-dwellers and today was no exception. Biggest giveaway? Big clunky strollers and jean skorts…can’t survive with either one of those in the city!



Despite the scorching heat, the festival was packed with all walks of life. Every restaurant was represented and even Mayor Nutter made an appearance. Jacob started out strong but as soon as we hit the herds of crowds, he decided that he wanted nothing to do with it. That’s when Phil and I realized that the first Walnut Street festival we attended as a family 5 years ago, Jacob was less than 2 months old! Despite the crazy crowds, we found a great table in the shade and Jacob enjoyed the Kobe hotdog from Rouge. Up Walnut, we picked up a balloon, a piggybank and watched the Joan Schepp fashion show. http://www.joanshepp.com/store/index.html. Took a much needed break from the sun at Barnes & Noble and sat in the Square for hours watching people go by. Feels weird when others invade the place you call home and even weirder when they bathe in the fountain you once witnessed a homeless man wash his nasty dirty feet in…ugh!


Like I said, this is what living in the city is all about. Homeless people, millionaires, world renowned restaurants and dirt cheap bodegas; all the stuff that build character. I hope that somehow it teaches Jacob and us that not all things are easy and most of the time they may be hard but they are out there, within reach and definitely achievable if you work hard and don’t forget who you are and where you come from! I always say that it’s not how much you have but what you do with what you have.  BTW, Phil got a shot of my new sandals, cute right!?


Happy Weekend everyone and enjoy no matter where you are and what you do!





1 comment:

  1. So true, brilliantly written. I'm hooked! Find myself checking for new posts several times/day!!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!