Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Too much of a good thing? Never!

No matter where you look or who you talk to these days, the name Jose Garces comes up.  Eight restaurants with 7 in the Philadelphia area alone, Food Network’s newest Iron Chef, author of Latin Evolution, winner of the James Beard Foundation’s “Best Chef Mid-Atlantic” award 2009 and, most recently, farm owner?  Oh no, I forgot, most recently would have to be the reason I was so happy Saturday night and then again on Tuesday evening and…when’s next?  I’m going through withdrawal!  

JG Domestic with friends on Saturday was long overdue and was another outstanding meal.  The table totally sucked; we were seated towards the back of the restaurant and while most people love the privacy, we love the scene which this totally lacked.  But the company, conversation and most importantly the food was right on!  Of course I had the Hickory smoked Georgia pecans and the black truffle flatbread but I also tried the Foie Gras special and…OMG!  It was one glorious bite after another and the double espresso sealed the deal.  
On a total high from my JG meal, I couldn’t wait for round 2 of Jose but didn’t really know what to expect when I RSVPed to the Garces Trading Co. Wine & Cheese pairing class.  So Tuesday we schlepped to GTC and what can I say?  12 people were expected, 6 cancelled cause they were too chicken to brave the snow and so that leaves 6 very happy people + Ben, the wine expert and Jordan, the cheese pro to enjoy twelve portions of wine and cheese plus some for 2 glorious hours. 
8 glasses of Spanish wine later we were all FBF, that’s Facebook friends, and exchanging way too much information!  Oh, I forgot the cheese.  Yes there was cheese and lots of it and it was sooo good especially, paired with the wine. 
Too much of a good thing?  I don’t think that’s ever possible!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alya!

    I actually believe that the fact that 6 people canceled made the evening a bit more intimate and more enjoyable!

    We are hoping to go to the beer/cheese dinner as well!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!