Sunday, October 30, 2011

Time Out Everyone

So Jacob and I are enjoying a lovely Sunday morning breakfast of goat cheese omelet, turkey bacon and carrot juice when it happens AGAIN.
Carrot juice goes flying all over the place mostly, because he is 6 and spills, drops, and knocks down everything within his reach and secondly, because the house is spotless and I want to keep it that way. I don't really overreact but do scream out, “That’s it, I can’t take it anymore” and turn off the TV.  OK, so maybe a bit too dramatic on my part and I didn’t really want to make a big deal cause as Phil often reminds me, he is 6 but, that delivery felt just intense enough at that moment.  Jacob gets mad and storms out of the kitchen and into his room. After a few minutes he emerges only to tell me that he knows that I'm mad but he is also mad.  Deep yes but, not out of character for Jacob.  Why are you mad I ask?  Because you put me in time out, he says.  No I didn’t, I say.  Ok then, since I know you’re upset, I put myself in timeout but please come get me when you’re ready and tell me that I did a good job…OK? and off he goes.  Now, he is playing and enjoying some quality alone time in his room which got me thinking.  Don’t we all at one time or another need a self-imposed time-out?  I know I do and by giving one to himself, I in turn got one too enough, to write this.
Happy Sunday and do yourself a favor...take a time-out, it can do wonders for you and those around you!

1 comment:

  1. Wish I would've read this before I overreacted when the garbage disposal was clogged (and I thought broken) last Sunday, and I lost it... I'm sure Lisa would have loooooved it if I gave myself a time-out... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!