Saturday, April 23, 2011

Wish you were there

but since you weren't, I have much to share and since I'm still Jet lagged and probably will be for some time plus have thousands of pictures and videos to sort through, I will hit you in chapters or, in this case, days spent in each city.
London day 1:
Arriving at Heathrow we cabbed it to St. Martins Lane Hotel, our home for the next 5 days and wow, it was so us! Part of the Morgans hotel group, I scored a great deal on Voyage Privé where for less than $250/night, we got an upgrade to a deluxe room with daily breakfast at Asia de Cuba…can’t beat that!

Since we arrived way before check-in, we dropped off our stuff and headed out to explore Soho, Trafalgar Square, the Portrait gallery, Covent Gardens and everything in between and all within 5 blocks of the hotel.
We then purchased our Oyster cards and
hopped on a bus that took us around the city stopping at the largest toy store outside of FAO, Hamleys where Jacob picked up a little something for himself and then I saw IT, Allsaints THE store for me! I however, didn’t buy anything but it was fun to look and have since become an official stalker.

The first meal was oysters and beer at the Wright Brothers Soho Oyster House…yumm if only Phil and I could snag one before Jacob sucked them all up.
The day ended with dinner at Tuttons with some bangers and mash, a traditional Sunday roast with all the requisite sides of roasted potatoes, veggies, a bottle of wine and dessert.

To be avoided; Marquess of Anglesey! We were seated, it then took them forever to bring us menus and then to never take our order. We actually walked out and on our way out the door, the oblivious and perhaps drunk waitress was busy chatting with the bartender to even notice…do not even give this place another thought!
Day 1 had come to an end and I don’t know what was more exciting, being there for the first time in many years or, seeing it through Jacob’s eyes. He started out each day, regardless of how much he slept or ate with, “I’m tired, I’m hungry” but as the day went on, he amazed us with his resilience, enthusiasm and nonstop energy especially after 10pm. Atypical of a 6 year old, he kept up with us as we explored the city top to bottom on foot for the next 5 days…So proud of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!