Thursday, October 20, 2011

Walking the Walk

When I became a mom, I made myself two promises; 1, that I would never be one of those parents that tells my child to do something because it’s the right thing to do but not do it myself and 2, that I would never wear Mom-jeans. The first was to better Jacob and the second was to better my marriage but I digress…

I know you know what I’m talking about and I’m sure we’ve all done it but I’m always very conscious of setting a good example for my son.  No matter the situation, I try to talk the talk AND walk the walk and what better way than volunteering?  It’s the one thing that we all say we should do and would do but for one reason or another, very rarely actually do do.  Family obligations, hectic schedules and complete exhaustion leave very little time for giving back to others and so, many of us resort to monetary donations.  If that’s you, great and I’m not here to tell you to stop but, there is something to be said for getting your hands dirty, bonding over spilled paint and plain old-fashioned hard work especially, if you child is witness to it…trust me, it will earn you street cred!
So why am I telling you all this?
Last year, my company partnered with Greater Philadelphia Cares and spend our very first Philly Cares Day, a marathon day of volunteering, rejuvenating an elementary school in dire need of some TLC.  This year, we’re taking on Greenfield, Jacob’s school and as you can imagine, I’m psyched!  Not only because it’s my son’s school and they need the help but also, so that Jacob can witness firsthand how a little can go a long way!
In preparation, last night, Jacob and I discussed the importance of volunteering and helping those less fortunate. He then helped me make a sign that he promised to take to school and help persuade his friends to join us.
40 volunteers…could be more but I’ll take what I can get, 4 hours of work to make for a lasting impression.  If you’re in the area, join us and bring your kids, trust me when I say that there is nothing better than walking the walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!