Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Truth be told, I always

doubt my ability to survive the Yom Kippur fast and, often question why I even do it but...I do it each and every year and this year will be no different...I think!
Funny how on any other day, I can go all day without eating but on this day, it seems impossible.  
I guess it has been engraved in me that Yom Kippur is the most important holiday of the Jewish year and many Jews who do not observe any other Jewish custom will refrain from work, fast and/or attend synagogue services on this day. We are those Jews.
The name "Yom Kippur" means "Day of Atonement," and that pretty much explains what the holiday is...a day set aside to "afflict the soul," and to atone for the sins of the past year.
On Yom Kippur, the judgment entered in the "books" in which G-d inscribes all of our names are sealed so this day is, essentially, your last appeal, your last chance to change the judgment, to demonstrate your repentance and make amends.
Man, religion is so depressing!? 
You know what's not depressing?  Discussing the holiday meal which I must say looks and smells delicious!
Matzo Ball soup is on the stove...
Garlic and rosemary roasted chicken and potatoes are in the oven...

The wine is flowing and I'm starting to plan out how I'm going to avoid temptation and survive tomorrow...HELP!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!